Yesterday, when I was getting dressed, I reached out for my favorite silk jacket. It’s from Eileen Fisher, it’s a color she calls cobblestone, which is sort of bronze/grey/green, and when I wear it I look tall and thin and young, and AMAZINGLY stylish.
I reached. And then I pulled back. WHAT?????
Somewhere in the back of my mind lurks this voice that says “oh, save that for a special occasion…”
Really? At my age? It’s not like I’m going to get dirty on the playground, nor spill chocolate milk on myself at lunch. (mmmmm….chocolate milk….)
What’s the worst thing that can happen?
- I might be the best-dressed person at work. (Oh bother)
- Or I might eventually wear the jacket out; fabric fatigue, snags, a strained seam.
- Even now, spilled food is not completely impossible.
Now what’s the worst thing that can happen if I DON’T wear it?
- I’m NOT the best dressed person at work. Even though I could be. What a waste.
- The jacket might wear out just hanging in my closet. Fibers break down eventually, but the “wear”could just be a more subtle falling out of style, or no longer fitting me. What a waste.
- I’ll spill something on a piece of clothing that isn’t as amazingly wonderfully fabulous as my silk jacket, and I will spend the rest of the day wearing something both sub-optimal AND spotted.
Wear the best stuff. Every day.