McCartney, striped tee shirt – A.L.C., grey trench – Burberry, black cotton
pants – Michael Kors, bags – Tumi, shoes – Thierry Rabotin, pearls –
Kenneth Jay Lane, scarf – Hermes
Often, I receive questions about what to pack if one is uncertain of the weather at the destination. This is a question I wrestle with often, because my favorite time of year to travel is in those “iffy” months when a lot of families can’t travel, because school is in session, and when the weather isn’t warm enough to sunbathe, nor cold enough to ski.
Vintage, Striped cardigan –
Day Birger et Mikkelsen, black knit skirt –
T by Alexander Wang, Fair Isle silk sweater – Rag & Bone,
black cotton sweater
– T b Alexander Wang, black jeans – Levi’s, grey cotton pants – Calvin Klein,
grey silk cashmere turtleneck – Miu Miu. Black silk
sleeveless top – 3.1 Phillip Lim, black & white striped cotton turtleneck –
Edit A. Miller, grey tee shirt – Old Navy, dress – Jaeger London
So my approach is this:
- Obviously – layers. A lightweight turtleneck that can easily go under a cardigan or crew neck sweater, but will pack down to nothing. A couple of silk or cotton modal tee shirts that are great for warm weather, but can slide under a cardigan or jacket.
- Season-less fabrics: cotton knit, cotton twill, a flat wool gabardine.
- Lots of accessories – especially warm socks, a hat and gloves. Small space dedicated to these things can yield big dividends if the temperature drops.
- Err more on the side of being prepared for cold, rather than for warm. If the heat wave sets in, it will be quick and inexpensive to pick up a couple of extra tee shirts. But in a cold snap, you don’t want to be rushed to buy woollies.
- Trench with zip-out lining – invaluable.
- Silk long underwear is a great pajama alternative, and can save your life when it snows.
- And ultimately, if there’s an unexpected blizzard, accept that you may have a day in which you can’t do much except take a taxi to a museum and pass the entire day there. Packing for every eventuality isn’t possible, unless you have a personal staff of Sherpa to carry your bags.
& alpaca hat – Burberry, grey disc earrings – Debenhams, necklace &
hoop earrings – Dannijo, gloves – Dolce
& Gabbana, Cross-body bag – Osgoode Marley, paisley scarf – Etro, ring – Vince Camuto, beaded bracelet – Chan Luu, Square scarf – Hermès, black pumps – Sergio Rossi, black open-toe flats – Stuart
Weitzman, rectangular scarf – Leigh & Luca, tights – Fogal, striped socks – Black.co.uk
I’d love to revisit this suitcase in a different color combination – any suggestions?